Orphan Adoption Process: Comfort to Your Very Soul

  

Comfort to Your Very Soul

by Teresa J. Herbic

Like cold water to a weary soul is good news from a distant landProverbs 25:25, NIV

Adopting a child from overseas feels like a dream. We first saw our child as a waiting child and attached to his adorable face right away. The image of his cheeks, his reflective eyes, and the little blue hood snuggled over his precious head would not leave our minds.

One of our recent adoptive families chose a child similarly in the orphan adoption process. Atana is a six-year old bright-eyed, handsome boy from Bulgaria with an infectious smile. When I learned of the family’s choice, I felt overjoyed. I realized that this child would be the recipient of overflowing love from an incredible, God-centered family. If he does not know Christ, I believe someday he will. If he does not feel loved, I trust he will be elated with his new home in gladness. The family in return will feel God’s hand at work satisfying their hearts and souls with His good pleasure.

Each time I work with adoptive families like this, I return to that first impression in my mind of my own son. I realize it’s hard for some to comprehend the bond one might feel to an older child. Then, I realize that once you believe in your heart that child is yours, the unity and love you feel is extremely rare and powerful. Then, the day comes when you receive the news that you are about to travel and meet your son or daughter for the first time. The news is like cold water in the desert and most exhilarating, as well as comforting to your very soul.


Popular posts from this blog

Making a Meaningful Difference

Begin with the End in Mind